Excel is a powerful tool that can help you solve complex equations and manage large amounts of data. In this tutorial, we will learn how to add a row index to a table in Excel using the Power Query feature. This can be useful when you have thousands of entries in your spreadsheet and need to assign an index to each row.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. Insert a table in your worksheet by going to Insert > Table or by pressing Ctrl+T. If your table has a header row, make sure to check the “My table has headers” option. Click OK to transform your data into a table.
2. Go to Data > From Table/Range to open the Power Query window.
3. To add a row index to your table, click the Add Column tab on the right-hand side of the Power Query window.
4. Click on the Index Column option and select 0 or 1 to start from it. You can also select custom to add a different point to start.
5. This will add a new column to your table with an index value for each row.
6. The index window will be added as the last column. Simply click on the index column header with your mouse and move it to the beginning.
7. To load the changes back into your worksheet, click Home at the top menu bar and select the Close & Load button.
The indexed table will be added to your worksheet as a new table.
In just a few simple steps, you can add a row index to your table in Excel using the Power Query feature. This can be a helpful tool when you have a large amount of data and need to assign an index value to each row. So next time you’re working with a large Excel spreadsheet, don’t forget to take advantage of the powerful features that Power Query has to offer.